Pitt Law Academy will be held on the following dates. Programmatic details for each Pitt Law Academy will be amended when available.
Fall 2019 semester
September 19, 2019, 3:30 p.m., Courtroom
If I Knew Then What I Know Now: Thoughts from Prominent Lawyers on What They Should Have Done (and Not Done) when They Were in Law School
- Hon. Hugh Fitzpatrick McGough,, Judge, Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas;
- Geovette Washington, Senior Vice Chancellor and Chief Legal Officer, University of Pittsburgh
- David J. Kalson, Director, Cohen & Grisgby
October 17, 2019, 3:30 p.m., Courtroom
First-Year Law School Subjects in the “Real World”: Legislation and Regulation
- Josh Hodges, Associate, Horty, Springer, & Mattern, P.C.
- Bryan Marco, Deputy Counsel, New Jersey Legislature, Office of Legislative Services
- Melissa Marshall, Esq., Community Advocate, Mountain Watershed Association
- Bethany E. Miller, Managing Senior Counsel, Business Credit & Corporate Banking, PNC Bank
November 21, 2019, 3:30 p.m., Courtroom
Diversity, Inclusion, and Empathy: Working with Clients, Fellow Lawyers, and Others from Different Backgrounds and Cultures
- Hon. Cathy Bissoon, District Judge, United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Blair Douglass, Administrator, University of Pittsburgh Physician Scientist Training Program
- Morgan Moody, Staff Attorney, KidsVoice
- Mark T. Phillis, Shareholder, Littler Mendelson, P.C.
Spring 2020 semester (speakers TBD)
January 16, 2020, 3:30 p.m., Courtroom
First-Year Law School Subjects in the “Real World”: Torts and Criminal Law
- Brittany Felder, Assistant District Attorney, Allegheny County
- Cheryl Esposito Kaufman, Counsel, Law Office of Cheryl Esposito Kaufman, Employees of Zurich American Insurance Company
- Daniel J. Sammel, Associate, Ainsman Levine, LLC
- Chalon Young, Manager of Training and Director of Internship Programs, Allegheny County Office of the Public Defender
February 20, 2020, 3:30 p.m., Courtroom
First-Year Law School Subjects in the "Real World": Legal Analysis & Writing
March 19, 2020, 3:30 p.m., Courtroom
Mental Health and Substance Abuse in Law School and the Legal Profession: Good Advice and Cautionary Tales
- Laurie J. Besden, Esq., Executive Director, Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers of Pennsylvania, Inc.
- Ned L. Spells, Jr., Chief Law Clerk to the Hon. Judith F. Olson, Pennsylvania Superior Court