Torts - Section B - Crossley
Published August 07, 2017
For our first class on Tuesday, August 29, at 2:00, please read and be prepared to discuss pages 1-9 of the casebook. As part of your preparation, consider the following questions regarding Hammontree v. Jenner:
- What facts led to this litigation?
- What was the error alleged by the plaintiffs/appellants?
- Can you tell from reading the opinion what the core difference between negligence liability and strict liability is?
- What reasons does the appellate court give for rejecting the plaintiffs’ arguments regarding the trial court’s jury instructions?
- What policy reasons might justify a general preference for the imposition of negligence standards over strict liability standards?